Senior Database Administrator
Senior database administrator with relational and big data expertise.
Under minimal direction, responsible for design, integrity, and performance tuning of data structures and access; on schedule, and in accordance with departmental guidelines. Sets, promotes, and monitors adherence to procedures and controls.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide expertise in all aspects of physical database design activities.
- Work with other infrastructure teams to plan, deploy or expand database and Hadoop environments.
- Design, configure and manage backup and recovery for HDFS and database management systems data.
- Participate in assuring the ongoing health of database and big data environments. Requires ongoing monitoring, tracking of usage trends and taking action to enhance performance and head off problems.
- Facilitate clients in performing backup and restores for non-production and staging environments.
- Develop and maintain technical control baselines for the data technologies supported.
- Review system and programming designs to ensure efficient use of database resources.
- Participate in the research and implementation of new data technologies.
- Provide primary and/or oversight On-Call Support for production problems.
- Interface with other infrastructure teams on production problems, new software and software release implementations, and database environment issues.
- Work with big data developers, designers and scientists in troubleshooting map reduce job failures and issues with Hive, Pig and Flume, or with problem SQLs accessing Data Warehouse or operational system data.
- Advise applications developers and update management on database concepts and techniques.
- Provide expertise in the on-going database administration tasks such as reorganizations, DASD management, and Disaster Recovery.
- 3+ years- experience developing and maintaining complex applications that make extensive use of a supported data technology (Relational database management system, Hadoop, Cassandra).
- 3+ years- experience as a Database or -Big Data- Administrator.
- Knowledge of 2 or more programming and scripting languages.
- Accepts ownership in assignments, team, and company and takes initiative outside immediate area of responsibility.
- Speed / Sense of Urgency -Contributes additional effort when necessary to get the job done and to help others meet their objectives.
- Seeks additional responsibility, shows initiative to learn every aspect of the job, and strives to become a mentor to others in area of expertise.
- Communicates openly and effectively. Challenges established practices appropriately.
- Ability to maintain composure under pressure and avoid defensive or irritated or reactions in challenging situations.
- Operating Systems: UNIX required (Red Hat Linux preferred). Z/OS experience a huge plus.
- RDBMS: DB2 required. (Either LUW or z/OS. The latter a plus). SQL Server a plus.
- Big Data: Hadoop (Hortonworks in use), Cassandra.
- Experienced in database server performance tuning and optimization and troubleshooting and performance tuning for Complex SQL queries
- Experienced in managing and reviewing Hadoop log files; troubleshooting map reduce jobs; and collecting metrics to monitor HDFS usage trends and performance.
- Proficient with database Change Management, Monitoring, and Log Analysis tools
- Proficient with coding and review of SQL, stored procedures, and triggers.
- Proficient with UNIX scripting.